The family of a Ruby Princess passenger and COVID-19 patient have spoke about their agony watching their loved one’s long road to recovery.
Adelaide man Paul Faraguna was the first COVID-19 patient to enter the Royal Adelaide Hospital – and the last, so far, to be discharged into a ward.
But as the other three recovered, Paul, 68, was placed into an induced coma, and on a ventilator.
For five weeks his family waited for positive news, while 21 other Ruby Princess passengers lost their battle.
But to underscore the severity of this illness, Paul’s recovery doesn’t mean he’s back to normal.
“He still has a long road of recovery and rehabilitation ahead of him,” Robyn said.
“The journey’s not over by any means.
“He just wants to come home.”
A special commission of inquiry hearing into the Ruby Princess cruise ship which docked at Circular Quay on March 19 is currently underway
A separate Senate inquiry into the Ruby Princess began on Tuesday in Canberra while a NSW Police criminal probe is also underway.
The Ruby Princess on Tuesday was off the east coast of the southern Philippine island of Mindanao en-route to Manila.
A Princess Cruises spokesman said it’s expected to arrive in Manilla on Thursday and “a determination will then be made for the repatriation of Filipino crew in consultation with authorities in the Philippines”.
The ship departed Port Kembla in Wollongong almost a fortnight ago.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and are used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.