Australia (9news)

Ruby Princess slammed by SA Premier after passenger dies in Adelaide

By April 26, 2020 No Comments
The South Australian Premier has called the Ruby Princess a “shocking situation”, after a woman who travelled on the infected ship became the state’s second fatality.
The 62-year-old, who died in Royal Adelaide Hospital, is the 15th fatality linked to the Ruby Princess, the vessel which docked in Sydney last month riddled with COVID-19. She was also Australia’s 50th coronavirus death.
Passengers sit with their luggage after disembarking from the Ruby Princess cruise ship at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Circular Quay, Sydney.
Passengers sit with their luggage after disembarking from the Ruby Princess cruise ship at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Circular Quay, Sydney.(Kate Geraghty)
Her death comes one day after South Australia’s first coronavirus fatality, a 75-year-old grandfather.
“It has caused havoc right across our nation,” Mr Marshall said, discussing the deadly wake left behind the Ruby Princess cruise.
Do you know more? Are you on the Ruby Princess or Artania?Email msaunoko@nine.com.au
The vessel, which docked in Sydney on March 19, has been linked to hundreds of virus cases across the country and is now the subject of a police probe.
“This is a particularly nasty virus. It will cost lives,” Mr Marshall said.
The premier also had two more key messages for South Australians: go get a flu jab and don’t break social distancing rules over Easter.
“This will be a very different Easter than we have ever experienced,” he warned.
Each day South Australian Police are conducting up to 500 checks on people who should be self-isolating, the premier said.
Mr Marshall made no apologies for the “large use of police resources” to perform important, potentially life-saving, tasks.
The Ruby Princess cruise ship has caused deaths and COVID-19 cases across Australia and internationally.
The Ruby Princess cruise ship has caused deaths and COVID-19 cases across Australia and internationally.(9News)
“Stay at home,” he implored.
He also called on South Australians to get “super important” flu jabs.
“We don’t need people unnecessarily in our intensive care unit in the hospitals taking up beds that we want to have ready for when the COVID-19 peak hits.”
More than 233,000 doses of the vaccine have been distributed across the SA health system in the last two weeks.
Do you know more? Are you on the Ruby Princess or Artania?Email msaunoko@nine.com.au
FOLLOW:Mark Saunokonoko on Twitter
0

Leave a Reply