MANILA, Philippines — The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has claimed the life of its youngest victim so far — a seven-year-old girl from the Ilocos Region.
The Department of Health (DOH) said the patient, “PH2415”, died March 26 but was only confirmed to have COVID-19 on March 31.
The minor had no travel history to places with confirmed COVID-19 cases and no other comorbidities or existing health conditions.
DOH said the patient died of hypovolemic shock secondary to acute gastroenteritis, severe dehydration, and pediatric community-acquired pneumonia.
The girl was among the total 136 fatalities from COVID-19 recorded by DOH as of Friday. To date, the Philippines has 3,018 people infected with the highly contagious respiratory illness and 52 recoveries.
The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this .