UK (Sky News)

Coronavirus: Vanessa Hudgens criticised for ‘heartless’ comments on pandemic

By March 18, 2020 No Comments

Vanessa Hudgens has apologised after making “heartless” comments about the coronavirus outbreak.

The High School Musical actress had complained about the US response to the pandemic in an Instagram Live video.

“Umm, yeah, ’til July sounds like a bunch of bulls**t,” she said in response to the potential timeline for being quarantined.

The 31-year-old continued: “I’m sorry, but like, it’s a virus, I get it, like, I respect it, but at the same time I’m like, even if everybody gets it, like yeah, people are going to die, which is terrible but like, inevitable?”

Social media users described her comments as “horrible” and “heartless”.

Following the backlash, the actress posted a video on her Instagram story, saying her words had been “taken out of context”.

“I don’t take this situation lightly by any means. So stay inside y’all,” she added.

Listen to “Love is Blind, Westworld and Caitlin Moran” on Spreaker.

:: Listen to Backstage on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

In a separate statement on Twitter, she wrote: “Hey guys. I’m so sorry for the way I have offended anyone and everyone who has seen the clip from my Instagram live yesterday.

“I realise my words were insensitive and not at all appropriate for the situation our country and the world are in right now.



Hudgens has apologised for her previous comments



Hudgens: Comments were ‘taken out of context’

“This has been a huge wake up call about the significance my words have, now more than ever.

“I’m sending safe wishes to everyone to stay safe and healthy during this crazy time.”

document.addEventListener(“DOMContentLoaded”, function() {
if(typeof twitterWidgetLoaded === “undefined”){
var newscript = document.createElement(‘script’);
newscript.type = ‘text/javascript’;
newscript.async = true;
newscript.src = ‘//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js’;
(document.getElementsByTagName(‘head’)[0]||document.getElementsByTagName(‘body’)[0]).appendChild(newscript);
}
var twitterWidgetLoaded = true;
});

Many parts of the US have taken sweeping measures to curb the spread of the virus.

In California, officials announced a complete lockdown of the Bay Area, urging people to stay at home except for essential needs.



Trump on coronavirus response



‘We’re going big’ – Trump on virus stimulus

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended that no gatherings of 50 people or more should be held for the next eight weeks.

Theatres, fitness clubs and bars have also been told to close.

Listen to “Divided States” on Spreaker.

:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

There have been more than 6,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the US, according to the Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

More than 100 people who tested positive for the virus have died in the States.

0